The holidays are upon us and this is often a time when parents will give the gift of a new pet to their children. Before you pick out the perfect pooch or the most cuddly kitten, we want to remind everyone of the time and financial commitment these “gifts” will be. Every animal deserves a safe and loving forever home.
Some things to consider, whether you are looking for a dog, cat, bird, reptile, etc. :
- Are you going to be able to tolerate having pet hair, litter, toys everywhere from your pet?
- If you have children, are they at a responsible enough age to take care of the pet? As always, are you prepared to take over in the event they are not?
- Do you need permission from your landlord to have this pet?
- Is there enough space in your home/yard for your pet to get their required exercise? Is the outside secure for them if they will be spending time outside?
- Will you and your family have the time to dedicate every day to interact with your pet?
- Does the pets activity level match yours? Does your family live an active or sedentary lifestyle?
- Will you have a way to afford the routine and the unexpected health needs of your pet?
- Who will take care of your pet when you and your family go on vacation?
- Will you consider adopting from a shelter or breed specific rescue instead of from a pet store?
If you are willing and able to take on the responsibilities of a pet as a family, you will all gain the benefits a pet can bring to its family. After adopting or purchasing any pet, it is always advised to bring them to a Veterinarian for a checkup and vaccines, if needed. Give us a call today if you are looking for a veterinarian in the Ellicott City, MD area at 410-465-6218. We wish you a very safe, happy, and warm holiday season.