Did you know that January 4th was “Squirrel Appreciation Day”? Most of the times people find these cute little guys a nuisance (especially when they steal all the bird food!) but today we are going to cover some neat facts about them.
- Food – squirrels like to eat nuts, acorns, seeds, roots, leaves and even little bugs!
- Color – the most common color is gray. Black squirrels can be found in the Midwest states, Northeastern states, and some parts of Canada. Red squirrels can be found in Great Britain, parts of Europe and Siberia. White squirrels can be found in some Midwestern states and parts of Canada.
- When they are born, squirrels are blind. But when they are adults, their vision is perfect.
- Baby squirrels are called “kittens”.
- Although we only covered a few different colors that a squirrel can be, there are actually more than 265 different types of species of squirrels.
- They use their tail to communicate with other squirrels.
- These guys are fast! They can run 20MPH!
If you have any kids at home, we found some activities you can do at home with them to celebrate Squirrel Appreciation Day:
Coloring pages: www.activityvillage.co.uk
Easy crafts: www.activityvillage.co.uk
We hope you enjoyed this post about squirrels! They can be a nuisance, but they are neat creatures! And if you are interested in watching squirrels in your yard, make sure you have some food out for them. Although they do go for bird feeders, your local home improvement store (such as Home Depot) usually sells food especially for squirrels. It can be found right in the same aisle as the bird food.