Since we are in the holiday season, we felt it was important to remind you of the special treats that are dangerous for your furry friends. Make sure to keep these foods away from your pets, and if you think that your buddy has ingested any of these, please contact your vet right away.

  • Chocolate – for some reason my dog loves to find chocolate. She doesn’t eat it, thankfully, she loves the smell though. But she finds it and “buries” it in the couch cushions. Ever since finding out she does this, I have been extra careful not to leave any chocolate where she can reach it. (That includes not even on the counters, she is a 50 pound dog that is able to get up there and get stuff on the counter. So all chocolate is now in the higher kitchen cabinets).
  • Any type of “sugarless” candy/gum – these usually contain something called “xylitol” which can potentially cause liver failure in dogs.
  • Raisins – now remember these are also in other holiday treats, such as fruit cakes, cookies, candies, etc. Raisins can potentially cause acute kidney failure.

Just to be on the safe side, keep all the sweet, yummy desserts away from your furry friends. This is just a small list of what is potentially poisonous to your pets; certain plants can also be hazardous to animals. If you think your pet has ingested any of this stuff, contact your vet right away. Or you can call the Animal Poison Control Hotline at 1-800-213-6680, and they are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.