The most important thing to remember when bathing your dog is to remind them that it is fun! Rewarding your dog with treats throughout the bath is an easy way to teach your dog to enjoy having a bath. Follow these steps for an enjoyable bath time for both dog and owner.
- Put your dog in the tub. Put a towel or rubber mat in the tub so they don’t slip. Big dogs can be bathed in the bath or shower, small dogs in the kitchen or laundry sink. If it’s not too cold outside, you can bathe them in a kiddy pool or with the hose.
- Soak your dog. Place cotton balls in his ears to protect them from the water.
Make sure the water is a good temperature- lukewarm.
- Shampoo. Using a dog shampoo, just pour a strip of shampoo down their back. For dogs with thicker hair, you may want to dilute it with water in a bowl or spray bottle. Begin lathering your dog.
- After the body is washed, use a damp washcloth to clean dirt from your dog’s face and muzzle.
- Rinse your dog until the water runs clear. Again, use a bucket or detachable hose to rinse the shampoo residue from your dog.
- Dry your dog. You may want to invest in a highly absorbent microfiber towel, which is more efficient than a regular towel.
Now your dog is squeaky clean and ready for the day!